Wednesday 24 January 2018

Snowy Owls

This species is quite topical with a bird on Scilly and one freshly arrived in West Texas.

Phil is tempted by the Scilly bird (now on Tresco) as he's living in Cornwall at the moment but the logistics and weather are stalling his attempt.

My first encounter with this magnificent bird was way back in 1990. I was at my Mother-in laws on Boxing day when I sneaked a quick phone call to Birdline...
 
"Snowy Owl, Wainfleet, Lincs"

WOW! Needless to say I was keen to see this bird!!! However, visiting relations for Christmas with two young lads was quite an obstacle to my plans. Fortunately the bird stayed until March 18th 1991 giving me plenty of time to visit and admire the bird along with thousands of others.

I started going to Texas in 2000. In 2002 there was one just west of Abiline at Tye until April 1st (5 records). Incredibly a GYRFALCON was also present in the State at Lubbock from Jan 21st - April 7th the same year (the only State record)...it roosted every night on the same water tower...



I remember Birders mentioning this bird at the time. Compiling this post has revealed the full magnitude of these records. I know I was in the State on April 18th... I don't wish to look further...if you get my drift. Also, it was pre-internet. Phew... I DID eventually look (too tempting). I was still in Texas on April 25th therefore making a connection impossible. That's a relief...a ghost put to bed!

Fast forward to 2007.

I'd just shacked up with Louise and had already booked my summer trip to Alaska. Fortunately I was able to get her on my flights with the BIG bonus of her ticket costing the princely sum of £1 due to a raffle at eBookers. It should have cost £990!!!!! A couple of days after arriving in Anchorage we took an internal flight to Barrow, the northern most point of the Continent. An amazing flight stopping of at Deadhorse (great name). We had a nervous hour on the runway before we got confirmation the fog had cleared at Barrow. During one afternoon on a short 2 mile drive over the permafrost I counted TWENTY Snowy Owls! Unforgettable. The SPECTACLED  and STELLER'S Eiders were rather nice as well. I also saw a Gre/ay phase GYR at Nome on the trip.

A year later I was watching one on my beloved Scilly. We were on Penninis Head, St Mary's when news came over the pager that one was flying in from St Agnes. Unfortunately we missed the flight view but did eventually enjoy prolonged views of it perched on a tin shed! A few more scans out to the west may have given me a very special moment indeed.

So coming full circle we have current records of interest...at least to me!?

No comments: