Tuesday 17 October 2017

How green is your Warbler?

Another slow morning at PG. No justice!

We then headed to Sennen to try for the Short-toed Lark. We soon connected...it was nice to see something.

As we were about to leave an "interesting" message appeared...

Dorset probable Two-barred Greenish Warbler St Aldhelm's Head in quarry

I did get a bit excited and subsequently confused... with good reason I feel. I had to leave Trevor as he saw the Filey bird in 2006. I thanked him for his excellent company and sped off down the road towards Penzance.
Then I pulled over.

Was it a species?

I rang RBA and Chris Batty had a quick look and confirmed it was on the IOC list which kicks in next year. Trevor also rang to back this up.

Followers will know I'm keen BUT I had a few nagging doubts...

Distance, traffic, confirmation etc etc.

It was 1.20 now and good old Google maps informed me my ETA would be...5.30? South Dorset on a weekday is NOT an easy place to access. I continued. I still wasn't happy though. This whole complex is less than thrilling to me.

At the risk of sounding hypocritical (keying in the Cackling Goose) I guess it's a personal decision as to whether you consider a legitimate tick...worthy. I've had this debate on more than one occasion...you've heard it all before!!

Don't tell anyone but I'm not 100% sure I didn't see the Filey bird. I'll have to check my log book when I get back home. I don't know...one minute a bird's a race, then it's a species...and vice versa!

Please let's have a bone fide American Warbler before the month is out...

PARULA?



No comments: