Thursday 12 October 2017

Far and Near

I finally decided to "put to bed" an overdue British tick yesterday...or at least try to. News of a CACKLING GOOSE loitering around Budle Bay, Northumberland tempted me to try. It's complicated...at least to me! More here.

So, accepted onto the British list last year and a bird available with excellent credentials just up the road....well OK, maybe a tad further. Far better than trying to see one on an off-shore Scottish island though.

My departure from Holderness was delayed an hour due to yours truly getting his Doctors appointment time wrong! Louise picked me up and we headed north. After a nice Pub lunch in her neck of the woods (Teeside) we continued through the Tyne tunnel. The forecast was for a bright afternoon with the rain clearing east...it didn't!

As we arrived at the south end of the bay and parked in the lay-by it was still raining. There were a few hardy souls present. After around 20 minutes it stopped, so I got out and set up my 'scope. It was then that I realised the enormity of the task ahead. There on the north bank, way off, were countless Barnacle Geese...c5000! A splendid sight BUT trying to pick out a "runt" Canada Goose amongst them wasn't gong to be easy. A challenge though!

I got talking to one of the locals from Morpeth. A nice chap who filled me in on the local bird movements. He told me the numbers of Barnacles present were exceptional and they would soon head for the Solway. Hopefully not in the next few hours. As I scanned the flock groups were continually flying low west and landing behind a dyke...out of sight. It was now 4pm.

Heavy showers continued but I was kitted up and continued to scan with a couple of other stalwarts. Checking the birds on the deck while trying to go through the birds flying low...not easy!

Then lo and behold I found it! Distant BUT conclusive. It then flew west with around a dozen Barnies and landed behind the dyke. Bingo! A less than inspiring species but an excellent tick in the circumstances. I was starting to wonder if a second visit would be needed. I didn't share that thought with Louise.

I selected to try and add this species at this time for reasons already stated. As good as any for me. A prime location and time and associating with wild Barnacle Geese. My committee of one will add this to my list!

......................................................................................

Closer to home "my" Bullfinches were present again this morning. It looks like our hopes of Christmas berries have been dashed. Not to worry as the pleasure they are giving far outweighs the loss...




Without doubt the best birds I've seen in my yard since we moved here...granted that's not saying much lol!...

No comments: