Wednesday 26 July 2017

Pyrenees reprise - Our Golden Day (2)

I've been flicking through some pics on this damp day and I've come across a few images which might enhance the story of our afternoon with the majestic Golden Eagle.

I'd had a prolonged but distant view from the Village the day previously as a bird flew through carrying what looked like a Marmot...




If you recall from the original post I'd received some information from a ranger (Flavian) while viewing the Lammergeier nest in the Valle d'Ossoue. He'd given us directions which I hoped to follow (you know how it is). We returned to Gavarnie and parked up. We then had to find the trailhead (as the Americans say). After a while we discovered it, tucked away behind a Hotel. The temperature was 38c by the way. We started to climb around 2.30pm...I know madness!

It was steep...VERY steep!

The plan was to make our way up to a plateau from were we could scan across the ravine to the cliff face, where the nest was located. We climbed and climbed. Mercifully it was shaded due to the wooded hillside. We wouldn't have made it otherwise...we'll I wouldn't! The leg held and Louise never complained. Eventually after over an hour we emerged out of the trees and there was the crag opposite...


It was still a good distance c400 yds but at least we were level now and I could scan with the 'scope.

The view of the Valle d'Ossoue from the plateau with the Lammergeier cliff on the right...


Louise headed for the shade and I had an initial scan with my Trinnies. I got lucky and found the nest...pleased with that. I then set up the scope to see if I could see any signs of life. I couldn't. No adults, no youngster/s.

I aimed to stay around 3 hours, so we had a decent window. Then after around 30 minutes...a fly-by...


Awesome! What a bird... was euphoric to see this magnificent bird so close and at eye level. It disappeared eventually around the cliff. Then, some movement at the nest! Nothing clear at first and difficult to be certain in the intense heat haze. Eventually...there it was...the GE youngster. REALLY pleased with the quality of this hand held phone-scoped effort considering the distance and conditions...




Quite an occasion for yours truly. I was as pleased with this experience as I was with any on the holiday.

Huge birds but gigantic distances. Never easy to get near, so I considered myself very fortunate. Just as we were leaving we were treated again...



When we reached the valley floor around 6.30 I turned to see both adults WAY up high above the ridge circling and enjoying the evening sunshine...


As you say Charles...another great day in the Pyrenees!

No comments: